Saturday, January 12, 2019

GOD’S ANGEL


I’m not a religious person, once I was but as I got older I realized that religion to me was a divider. Going to church on a Sunday and falling asleep over a sermon that really doesn’t reach me is my problem and usually the sermon never instructed me on HOW to love my neighbor or on HOW to do charitable works selflessly, or HOW to do random good deeds, but instead takes the focus off of God and places it on Jesus and the rituals that give religion its empty substance to me.

Being born a Christian immediately segregated me from my Jewish, Muslim and other brothers and sisters. It was the Christian way or no way. The same is true for Jews or Muslims etc. as we identify as a religious follower rather than as a fellow human being. I go through a Hispanic community, meet a black person, talk to an Asian and I learn from them, and as I do I destroy my old false prejudices, every day, in every way. I don’t mean to say religion is all bad, there are many charitable works they perform, feeding the poor and sometimes giving shelter, that is beautiful and to do so in Jesus name. This is DOING not talking about it in a time-limited window.

Recently as TLW (The Little Woman) retired, there was an outpouring of love that went in her direction, cards, and gifts, phone calls and all good wishes on Social Media. This humbles me, that someone who served the public was loved so much, that those who dealt with her over the past 17 years needed to say goodbye, some tear-filled some with smiles and sadness.

And her workmates, many who I know, all greeted her news of retirement with sadness for themselves and gladness for TLW. I think that says a lot about how God works, what God really is. We are a family of humanity occupying this great Earth. Being humble and helpful pays off, many times over since it reaches out to all of us somehow and maybe THAT is the best religion.



No comments: