Thursday, February 21, 2019

ALL ABOARD


Recently, on my trip to New York City, I boarded the 11:11 A.M. train from Ronkonkoma to begin the journey. Being I am a veteran of riding the LIRR, a once upon a time Dashing Dan as I was described, there are habits and remembrances that are burned deep into my memory.

One of the joys of commuting was the carefree attitude of not worrying about the traffic or parking that clogged the arteries leading in and out of the Big Apple. You had riding mates that you got acquainted with, friends you made and fun you had from these fellow riders. There are stories and more stories I can tell and just might do that in this forum.

But the recent trip has turned into a realization that the World has completely changed! No longer do people bring books or magazines or newspapers to read anymore. What was a very common occurrence has faded now away. It seems like the same kind of people but they act differently. Maybe they are and there is some sinister influence in play.  People used to hide behind their books or newspapers to avoid eye contact in the 1970s, now they stare into their cell phones, a steady gaze with their thumbs flipping along each email or message. This phenomenon has transformed the commute from daily learning to the daily bombardment of electrons into the hearts, souls, and eyes of the ‘Mesmerized Dan’ the commuter of today. The rider finds a seat and no longer looks up as he pulls out his phone, and starts the zombie quest to find out just how important he is, or tries to convince his fellow riders he is. The problem, of course, is no one notices because they are all doing the same thing.

Emerging from the train and climbing to the street on Eighth Avenue, the escalator has become a big help to the commuter, he can hold on with one hand to the rail of the escalator while holding his phone in the other. Don’t get me wrong, women do this too, they are just as bad as men in this regard. But the most egregious of offenses is when they decide they can’t spell so the will actually call! Then they have to be heard enough to irritate me to the point that I am riding while on the verge of strangling these inconsiderate morons. They talk and talk and not worry about battery life.

Come to think of it, I received a text while riding. I looked impressive, I’m sure.

No comments: