Sunday, March 10, 2019

SOME PLACES JUST HOLD TRUE!

They hold true to my sense of who they are. Take for instance the town of East Islip, forever in my heart as Long Ireland, yes a place inhabited on Long Island with the wonderful Irish that inhabits it.

It took me about 25 years before I ever set foot in East Islip, and actually living for the 15 years of residing on the Island. I would go through the town on the train to work, but never paid it much attention. Then one day I noticed this lady get on the train every day on my car. Being creatures looking for some kind of control, commuters tend to board the same cars every day. I introduced myself and now after 48 years in June, I explain myself.

I took notice of this lady and would anticipate her boarding every morning and sometimes at night too. She was Irish as I learned and her Mom was a sociable lady with a great sense of humor and presence, who always smiled and made people feel welcomed. Most of her friends were Irish and Italian as she built her friendship from the A&P where she checked out people.

But, East Islip on Long Ireland was indeed an experience. The neighbors who lived on the block where my wife came from were mostly Irish and so I accepted that and got to know and accept them. My father-in-law came from Ireland and together on a salesman’s salary raised 4 successful children.

But now, as I drive through the town of East Islip with the Irish holy day of obligation, a parade will be somewhere in this world honoring St. Patrick, the patron saint of the Irish and bars, saloons, and pubs.

So if you are going down the roads and lanes of Long Ireland, look for Long Ireland and the lads and lassies of the new sod who wax poetically for the old sod.


No comments: