Thursday, April 11, 2019

HOW DO YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART


Let alone many?

She married my son Anthony and wore his promise on her finger until she died. She left us all still wanting more, as we linger at her crypt, washing the stone with our tears. We witnessed her last giving to this dark and dreary world, and because of it the sun rises and the snows glisten, the birds soar and the wind whispers her name.

She was born on this day, unknown to those who knew her. We all had the common interest of love, for that is what she left in the end. She did her best work for last, then reached toward the heavens and said: “My work here on Earth is done.”

She did not leave behind her survivors they only validate her being here on Earth, once upon a time and yes, now too. There is no prayer, no solitude, and no reason for it all, yet it stands there in my mind, heart, and soul.


But her gift… what a wonderful gift she gave, she traded her life so that a child would be born, out of love, to give love and barter with our hearts for one more time of pure joy as he slides and crawls across the room, smiling eagerly and eagerly resting his eyes on your heavy heart and soul to pick him up and squeeze and hug and kiss him. He seeks to play and be inventive in his many ways he takes your breath away and captures your soul.

Yet his sister is the reminder, the spirit of her mother that captures me and makes me fall hard for the sweetness of her face, the fragility of her wounded soul and the strength to understand what has happened to her and her brother. She can be a lady without being ladylike, a 5-year-old with the cunning of a 50-year-old warlord, the diplomacy of a seasoned diplomat and the grace and beauty of a Princess Grace Kelly, thus I can call her La Principessa, the princess of my weary soul, the queen of my heart.

I remember one summer day on a Saturday as I attended her graduation. She had achieved the highest honor of her graduating class and as is the custom had to share her comments with the audience. As I watched Courtney move across the stage, a look of happiness consuming her face, I snuck a peek at her Dad and my son and realized they must be graduating too, along with Courtney. I speak with pride when I say she is a hard worker, and I told her once she worked too hard, but that is who she is, that is what focus is, that is why I admire her so.

God gives us all talents. What we choose to do with them is up to us. Courtney had many talents she never wore them out! She was successful in whatever she did, wherever she went she was welcomed in the business world.



1 comment:

Michele DePalo said...

Rest in peace, beautiful Courtney, on the anniversary of your birth. You left the world too soon, but left it a better place. Your spirit will live on in your precious children. 💕