Wednesday, May 01, 2019

SYMBOLISM AT ITS BEST!

Way back in 1931, President Herbert Hoover officially dedicated the Empire State Building in New York City. Pressing a button from the White House that turns on the building's lights, Hoover's symbolic action did it while he remained in Washington, D.C. ruining the economy.

Hoover in spite of his failings as President did represent all married men in a way that affected us all deeply and profoundly. I can assure you that whoever it was that did switch on the lights had to be a woman.

They have been doing this for years, as my mother used to say to my dad when he thought he was in charge:

“You may think you are the head, but I’m the neck that turns the head!”

Wow, pretty heady stuff, yet true! I would ask my father for something and he would say:

“Go ask your mother.”

He was you might say: AHEAD of the curve.

As I got older, if I needed something and my father was standing there I would eliminate the middleman and go to the real head of the government by asking:

“Where’s Mom?”

But it gets worst. I got married and married my own neck. Just like Dad, I became a quivering shell of a man, following orders that were planted in my head making me think I thought of them.

The kids call home and I answer:

“Yejellow?”

“Where’s Mom?”

“She went out to spend down our treasury before taxes.”

“When is she coming home?”

Sometimes they are really talkative and this happens:

“Yejellow?”

“Eh! Is Mom home?”

This adequately covers the conversation because I can then go back to checking the inside of my eyelids.

No comments: