Sunday, August 18, 2019

I LOVE THE EXPERTS

If you watch TV occasionally, you might tune into two shows that make me crazy. One is the Dr. Phil Show and one is Jeopardy. The hosts of the respective shows are Dr. Phil McGraw and Alex Trebek. I guess you could call them either educational or informative.

Everyone enjoys the challenge of Jeopardy because the things they ask about that you phrase in a question challenge or test your knowledge. This is fun and I love fun. Then there is Dr. Phil with his expert hold on his audience that can generate cheers for himself anytime he pushes the button.

I have issues with both gentlemen. Alex all too often sounds like he knows all the answers to all the questions presented and if a contestant misses he acts as he knows. I would love to see the show change the format. Alex Trebek asks the questions and a respondent waits for a bell that certifies the answers with a voice over giving the correct answer. This takes away the pretentiousness of Alex Trebek.

To me, Dr. Phil is a self-serving shrill for his books, his son’s publishing company and his wife Robin’s cosmetic company, all subsidized by Dr. Phil. The bad taste that is left in one's mouth by the overt selling of Robin’s cosmetics at the last ten or fifteen minutes of the show s she tries to leave an impression that she is some kind of cosmetologist.

I don’t put on the Dr. Phil show, I rather watch Ellen Degeneres than Dr. Phil and Steve Harvey in Family Feud than listen to Trebek come off like he isn’t.

 

No comments: