Sunday, August 25, 2019

ITS HARD BEING NICE


Recently #1 Son sent us an email asking if we could help a friend of his, and I consider mine by collecting some pre-college freshman student’s stuff for his dorm room. It seems the family could not store at the college near us before the week that the new students move in. A bunch of stuff and nowhere to put it, so of course, we said yes to the request. Having met the college student a long time ago (it seemed like yesterday) when I had lunch with his father and little brother in Pasadena, California and we talked trains, a favorite of his.

During the two or three weeks that have gone by we must have about 15 or 16 items from FedEx, some as many as 5 and some as little as one thin package. But knowing the father and children I was happy to do it.

After about a week, the packages stopped coming and all is well and stored safely ready to be turned over to the family. I even have offered to deliver it to them although I don’t know if it will all fit in my RAV 4.

Yesterday TLW (The Little Woman) arrives to take over for me sitting with my daughter and tells me another box had arrived! Wow! I thought business must be picking up! It was addressed to us but was for us! An incredible box from Zabar filled with many ethnic treats that say “New York City”. Things like salami, chocolate babka, rugelach, bagels, knishes and Italian cookies of all kinds aside from the black and white ones you find.

It is very hard to be helpful to good people they feel the need to thank us more than a simple way. We didn’t expect anything except helping a young man settle in for his education and start his life on a new level.

I think we should send them something to show our appreciation, but I’m afraid of starting a thank you war. At least there are no tariffs.

No comments: