Thursday, August 01, 2019

RE-TYING OLD TIES

The guy in the yellow shirt
Once again I ventured out into the food industry as I lunch with an old friend. This old friend happens to be a Board member and fellow representative to Albany and the Board of Governors. He is still using the same name he uses on the Board, that being Jim. A wonderful and dedicated brother to his sibling, a sweet man with disabilities, he so too is a dedicated husband and father.

Jim and I go way back to when he still worked as an English teacher at Sachem High School when he first joined the Board. Over the years his enthusiasm and good humor have helped him to move up until he was president of the board and chairs many committees over the years.

We hashed some old business and then jumped into other topics and recalled some of the events as fellow board members. Or health, or families, have all become the major concern of ours as we plowed through our topics.

As we talked new topics became part of the conversations in a dominating way. It made me realize just how old we have gotten, how fleeting life is and the need to appreciate it. He does try by visiting the many spring facilities during spring training all over the country. Enjoy it while you can. He loves to fly (I hate it) and goes to South Carolina, as much as I go to Burbank it seems. His favorite airline is Southwest. I hate it because of its seating routine. I don’t like to play musical seats while boarding it is stressful enough to fly as it is.

I look back over the years and feel good to know him, he is decent and honest, respectful and yet fun, our friendship is a highlight in my life, yet there are many highlights in my life, but this one stands out best.

I will try to keep in touch, call him for lunch and still have those laughs we always did, but somehow I’m afraid of the conversations and what they will bring to two old guys.

No comments: