Saturday, August 17, 2019

WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES

Recently, I found out that another classmate from high school passed away. He died after a long illness and that happens to the young and old alike.

Dying is not something I fear or look forward to, it is final and it is part of the timeline of one’s life. What I find hard is the realization that those I know and love will at some point either before or after me, pass, too. I think of all the students that graduated in that high school class of mine wondering; are there more alive than dead or the reverse? As the numbers increase that pass are we who survive for the moment in the minority now?

It seems to disturb me that this last classmates’ death occurred. He was a gentleman, civic-minded, a wonderful husband and father. He was a good kid in school and was respected by everyone as he was in his final years. That says an awful lot about anyone.

John Matuszak was a simple man, no-frills, no pretentions, and certainly never any excuses, just a humble guy who lived each day honestly, quietly and above all showed respect for all.

Many classmates have passed these last ten years, some I knew about and some I learned from others, but this one was a little hurtful, he was a good man and that is the best we can say about anyone. Often we build a case for someone when they pass, saying how good he was and go on when nothing was ever said while he lived. His living was the case that said it all!

Sleep in peace John, don’t worry about your legacy, instead, let those that loved and know you keep it safe. It is one of my deepest regrets that I didn’t know you better than I do, but I can say I know you and that enriches my life.  

1 comment:

clar said...

awesome post.you may also LIKE to read this
NegosyongPinoy.info