Sunday, September 15, 2019

JUST WHEN I HANG ‘EM UP

Am I busy AND cheap?
I get an email from out of the blue. I guess cyberspace is blue, no?

Good morning, Joe,
I hope that you and the family are well. I am developing a new publishing project (a magazine for senior citizens to be distributed in Florida) and wondered if you are busy these days (and also if you would work cheap). 
In any case, let me know if you are interested and we can talk.”

I will not mention the culprit but my favorite sentence is the last one in Italics, it is a gem. Will I do it? Yes! Why? It is something to do and I love doing design work or writing.

The thing about this project is that it will lead to something lucrative if it works, and there is nothing that builds my ego more than money. Also, I love developing things like magazines, I’ve done that before and seeing a creation of yours in a sleek shiny format makes me sparkle.

You know, when you retire you miss what you did professionally for a living, the excitement of moving your blood at a steady flow, the juices just pumping and you get more and more into it. But most of all, it makes you belong to something, the project, the goal of the project and the people involved. You are living!

I guess I will never retire fully, maybe no more driving or commuting to a job, but belonging to something still seems important to me. Maybe I’ll die doing it, and that will be the first time I didn’t finish a job!

No comments: