Friday, September 08, 2017

A SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS!


Recently, on the first day of school for the locals, I drove down my street and saw four young ladies standing at a bus stop. They looked about high school age and about the same age. Those four young ladies told me a lot, mainly that we are losing our grip on things.

The four stood about 3 feet apart from one another and had very dour faces, filled with gloom, sadness, and disinterest. But the attitude was not enough, they were all staring at their cell phones, no one was engaging in conversation. No one would look at the other, just into their cell phone. How sad! Then I realized they were all overweight, which leads me to believe that there is no activity in their lives other than looking at their phones. I know that sometimes being overweight can be hereditary injustice visited upon the innocent, but all four?

As I continued down the road, there on the corner was another bus stop, this time occupied by three fellows. I'll be damned, but they were indeed engaged in conversation, they looked light-hearted and happy for the first day of school, ready to board a bus that will officially end their summer. THEY were all thin!

As I pulled up into my driveway, I couldn't help but wonder if there will ever be any dating in high school in the future? Will the girls ever be pulled away from their cellphones and learn to converse with not only themselves but with the boys? Is this the beginning of zero growth in our population? Stay tuned, we may be a dying breed.

No comments: