Wednesday, September 20, 2017

DAVID

As an old uncle, it makes me proud that a nephew of mine spending his life as both a first responder and a nurse. There are few things in life more important than helping your fellow man, and being so dedicated to doing so! It makes me proud to know MY nephew is one of the elite people in this world, who sacrifices his own comforts to help others. I know parents would be extremely proud.

When all is said, and done, and Florida is rebuilt, the thankfulness will be that people like David and his buddies are there waiting for the next crisis and that he and his pals will have the backs of those who need help the most.

It always amazes me that we have people like David in this world. I have a niece Kate who is my god-child, a nurse out in California, and yes, I can't help but be proud of her too.

Funny how we go through life and never think of our health until something happens. I had surgery back in January and when I went into the hospital I needed to tell the nurses that my niece and nephew are both nurses, I guess I was bragging, but it is something special. I think nurses are very special, underappreciated and underpaid by far. They should have mandatory time off every few months and given shorter work days. Of course, this will never happen because there is a shortage of angels, both male, and female, so instead, they are worked to weariness.

Hearts of Gold
Sherry York
There are times in our lives when we sit down and wonder where our lives will lead us.
Sometimes we get so caught up in our jobs that we forget what we truly represent.
We get frustrated, aggravated, pushed to the limits and so mentally tired that we feel what is the use of being a Nurse.
But then someone gives us a weak smile or holds our hand and may say "thank you, you are so special."
Then we feel the warmth growing in our hearts.
All the bad feelings disappear and replaced by the core values that we present:
human dignity, compassion, dedication, integrity, stewardship, leadership and excellence.
So when the bad feelings begin to show take the time to say this prayer:
Lord, help me to bring comfort where there is pain.
Courage where there is despair.
Acceptance when the end is near.
A touch gentle with tenderness, patience, and love.
And, always remember, all Nurses are truly blessed.
For you see --- God gave of Hearts of Gold.

No comments: