Saturday, September 02, 2017

LAGGING BEHIND

When the electronic age of communications started in my house back in 1991, it was with a computer placed in an empty bedroom, and I was the only one on it. TLW (The Little Woman) didn't want anything to do with it. The computer was mostly my domain.

I went out at some point and purchased a used computer, one that I used to show #2 Son how to use so he would learn, and even sat TLW down to learn it, but still, she refused to get too involved.

Then TLW discovered that there was a whole world of shopping and information out there, just tap into the computer, and she began her quest to become computer literate, and Internet savvy. The problem was every morning I would be downstairs in the den and she would be upstairs and across the house calling out: "JOOOOOOOOOOEEEE, CAN YOU COME UP HERE A MINUTE? This was doing wonders for my health since I was climbing two flights of stairs, and reducing my waistline, but my morale was sagging!

These calls were often and maybe two or three times a morning! What to do? One day, I asked her if she wanted a computer of her own. "Oh no! I don't need a computer, I can read the newspapers and get the circulars to shop. You can do the computer stuff for me"

Then one year I decided to give up the exercise and think about purchasing her a laptop, a MAC, titanium 17 inches I think. Every morning she was using my laptop and messing up my system by trying to do it on her own. I encouraged her to do so since that is the best way to learn. Sitting next to me, she would try to get on the Internet and complained that she couldn't get on. I suggested that maybe it was her attitude since I was always able to get on. Somehow she would disagree with me. Since we were both using the laptop, me for business and her for information highway driving and shopping, I asked her the next question in November of that year:

"How would you like your own laptop?"
"No, just get me one of those things that do the Internet only."

So, naturally, I got her a laptop.

Since that day, she has slowly learned the computer, and now has taken the lead and has found a new frontier in which to boss me around! The other morning, we were going to purchase theater tickets on the Internet, and she decided to take charge! She made her decisions on the laptop and forwarded them to my main computer to print them out, leading me by the nose through the process of getting her email and following the steps she dictated.

Today, she stands a giant in the computer world, able to whiz through cyberspace, clicking and clacking through as her fingers dance through the keyboard, zipping windows and downloading and forwarding, now, on her I-pad.

She reigns now as she does in the circulars, as she does in the banking world and motherhood, and boss of DelBloggolo-SUPREME!
I, too, own an I-pad. I share books with her I-pad and just finished reading a novel, ‘A GENTLEMAN FROM MOSCOW'. But something happened, once I finished the book on my I-pad, I couldn't leave the book! No matter what I did, the damned book would not close, and after several days of trying, I decided to go to a more experienced I-pad user, yes, TLW!

One morning in total defeat I came downstairs with the I-pad and asked: "Can you figure how to get out of this book?" Motioning me to give her my I-pad, two taps of her magical fingers and she was done!

All bow and hail, TLW.

No comments: