Thursday, August 15, 2019

KEEP IT SIMPLE AND I WILL COME

A great place to eat!
Went to a breakfast Tuesday with some old high school classmates at a popular spot on the golf course in Bellport. The name of the place is Peter’s On the Green and it has the usual clubhouse fare for both breakfast and lunch, having eaten there a few times now I anticipate things to always be up in the air when it comes to the menu.

I like to try things that are somewhat different, not radically different because I compare and get disappointed with what I have or am used to. This particular morning I was in the mood for some old-fashioned pancakes with syrup and butter. This is a very simple thing and an occasional craving I have.

I look at the menu and find Honey Whole Grain Pancakes; Whole wheat batters mixed with oats, pumpkin seeds, craisins, walnuts, and drizzled with honey. Don’t even ask me where they got ‘craisins’ from, let alone why they would put them in pancakes. I can be daring and have bananas with or in or on top of my stack, this is allowable for me. But when you start putting craisins and with whole grain batter, pumpkin seeds, (Yes, those very same pumpkin seeds the ballplayers spit out while the camera is on them), then they don’t spring for the butter but instead give you honey, uh uh! No way will I eat what they have leftover in the pantry and try to call them “pancakes”.

So I ask for some simple pancakes, you know the ones that Mom used to make and too, the Little Woman? Breakfast should be tasty and simple, not a convolution of strange concoctions that the chef thinks will get him past the security at the Culinary Institute of America. In my simple request, I state that I want butter on the side. What do I get? Oh, I got my pancakes alright, but the butter on the side was these damned little plastic packets of butter that take forever to open and apply to the pancakes. After you open a couple, the pancakes are cold like my joy-filled heart at the moment!

WHY THE HELL CAN’T THEY GET RID OF THOSE STUPID PACKETS AND GIVE ME SOME LOOSE BUTTER?

Ever go to a deli or hamburger joint other than the usual chains and order a hamburger with fries? Out, comes this delicious looking hamburger with fried that are dry, too large and too dull to eat. This is so the restaurant can move all the ketchup by having you slop it on the fries.


 

No comments: