Thursday, August 22, 2019

MAKING A CHOICE

Recently, I visited and paid my respects to the family of a friend of mine from high school when he passed. The funeral parlor was decently filled with people saying their goodbyes. I stayed for about one hour and conveyed my condolences to the wife ad sister. I checked to find out when the Mass was being said for the departed and understood it to be the next day at 10:00 A.M., around the time I visit and reassure my daughter that no one has abandoned her.

I planned to go to the Mass ad figured I could go early in the morning to visit my daughter then have I sufficient time to go to the Mass. As I went through the day I started to think about the mass and the fact that my friend was gone and I had paid my respects and started to question whether or not I wanted to go to the Mass and leave my daughter. The next morning I went to the Medford Multicare Center where my daughter currently resides and while there decided to not go to the Mass.

Feeling that I had paid my respects and that I had almost lost my daughter, that God forbid I did, I would regret any time I could have spent with her and didn’t. So, I decided to not go and spend that time with her.

So, why am I writing this? I guess to clear my conscience and make it right in my heart and soul. After all, is said and done, I can do more for my daughter while she is still alive than I can for my friend who needs no help or support since he no longer lives. My being at a Mass might bring some comfort to the family, but can I weight it against the comfort I bring to my daughter?

No comments: