Tuesday, October 02, 2007

READY, SET, CRY

Sunday was the big day! The day that both the Mets and Jets were on TV, and at the same time. Big game for the Mets, and a regular but important game for the Jets were to be played. The Jets were playing their conference rivals, and the Mets had to win in order to stay alive for the playoffs, no win and there’s no tomorrow.

The Macaroni Man was coming over to help me watch and cheer my teams, and I set it all up for the big day. The remote for set for an easy switch from one game to the other, without pressing more than one button. The TV screen was dusted and ready, the chips were laid out, ice in the glasses, soda filling the crystal iced glasses to capacity, napkins on the ready.

Go to the kick off at 1:00 PM, watch the first series of downs, nothing happens, switch to the Mets, 4-0 Mets losing! Oh no, 4-0, but it isn’t even the first inning! I watch a little more, 7-0. Doom starts to rear it’s ugly and familiar head in my TV, laughing at me in defiance, and causing the Macaroni Man to moan, groan and reach for some aspirin.

Macaroni Man starts to pace, I start to contemplate suicide, but think what if they make a comeback. TLW, (The Little Woman) says: “could they make a comeback?” I respond; “oh yeah, they can comeback next year.”

Back to the Jets, losing now only 7-0, still early, maybe Chad Pennington can lead them back, if not, I would like to see another “Hanging Chad”.

Back to the Metsies, 8-1, God help me, I decide there is no point in watching the unwatchable. Back to the Jets, they wind up losing, and so the rest of my day went. Last I saw Macaroni Man, he was wandering around my neighbor’s shed looking for something to eat. Hope he can share it.

Help prevent sad stories with unhappy outcomes, write your displeasure to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com
Tell them: “give me a friggen break!”

No comments: