Sunday, June 19, 2011

THERE ARE REASONS WHY


I wrote about Father’s Day yesterday, when it is today. The reason is that today TLW (The Little Woman) and I are married 40 years! Who knew when we got married that day so long ago this day would come so soon!

We have been through a lot together all these years, the crazy economies that existed in our day, the children living their lives, the emotional pain of losing a child to developmental disabilities, and one passing on, all have a large part of the memories.

“I can't remember when you weren't there
When I didn't care for anyone but you
I swear we've been through everything there is
Can't imagine anything we've missed
Can't imagine anything the two of us can't do”

That first apartment, the mice, oh the mice on Munsell Road in East Patchogue. We would watch TV on the couch and hear the trap go off, and I was sent to set up the trap for the next victim, but first dispose of the latest.

“Through the year, you've never let me down
You turned my life around, the sweetest days I've found
I've found with you ... Through the years
I've never been afraid, I've loved the life we've made
And I'm so glad I've stayed, right here with you
Through the years”

I remember that first Christmas very vividly. We were just starting out, we had very little money for ourselves to spend, and like any new couple, we were just trying to establish ourselves. I needed a new watch, mine had stopped months ago, and that morning, when I woke up, and we exchanged gifts, I looked into a stocking she TLW hung, and found my watch, repaired! It is funny how something like that can mean so much.

“I can't remember what I used to do
Who I trusted whom, I listened to before
I swear you've taught me everything I know
Can't imagine needing someone so
But through the years it seems to me
I need you more and more”

It was TLW who has put me on countless guilt trips about my diet. Never once did she make me do anything but make up my own mind about things. She got me to stop taking sugar in my coffee and tea, and I think it may have kept me alive to this day. (You can blame her)

“Through the years, through all the good and bad
I knew how much we had, I've always been so glad
To be with you ... Through the years
It's better everyday, you've kissed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you
Through the years”

When we had our first child, our pride and joy at the time, and discovered she was not living up to our dreams of a normal child, we pulled together, cried a bit, then put our heads together and decided to do what we could for her. It was about her, not us.

“Through the years, when everything went wrong
Together we were strong, I know that I belonged
Right here with you ... Through the years
I never had a doubt, we'd always work things out
I've learned what love's about, by loving you
Through the years”

When one of our children died, we could have broken up at that point, many couples do, but instead we comforted each other, never thought of doing anything else.

“Through the years, you've never let me down
You've turned my life around, the sweetest days I've found
I've found with you ... Through the years
It's better everyday, you've kissed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you
Through the years!”

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ELLEN, I LOVE YOU.

5 comments:

pamela said...

Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple that I am proud to know.

Princess Pat said...

Happy 40th Anniversary!!! It's a pleasure being friends to a couple
like you.

Carol said...

May you both continue to share the love, peace and understanding for the next 40 years. Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to two beautiful people, inside & out, May you enjoy the next 40!!! Love Lois

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Ellen and Joe! Here I am again, a blubbering idiot, but your words ring so true. You are greatly blessed to have had each other "through the years".

Love, Michele