Thursday, September 15, 2011

BERT AND ERNIE! WHO KNEW?


Last month on the nearly morning news was a story about a movement on the Internet to have those two beloved puppets, Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street get married.

Now let me state that if two people want to get married, it is indeed their business, not mine, I don’t judge, I don’t care. Like I said in the past, as long as I don’t miss a meal I’m fine with it.

Way back in the 60’s, when my beautiful niece Laurie Ann was a child, her and her childish Uncle would sit in front of the TV when Uncle had no class that afternoon at college and Laurie was visiting Nana with her mom, Tess. (My older sister, much older)

We would sit in front of the TV while Nana and Tessie organized the world downstairs. Laurie and I learned to count to ten and to read letters. I must say at first I was a little better at it than Laurie, but then once she learned how to talk she kind of jumped ahead of me!

Anyway, one of the parts of Sesame Street we both loved was Burt and Ernie, those two wild and crazy puppets. At the end of the day, the Sesame Street people after filming would put both Burt and Ernie away in some closet for the day.

Well, both Burt and Ernie are coming out of the closet! This is no joke, and not just another show: this is the BIG show, marriage! Needless to say, there is a whole lot of handwringing going on. The main issue is whether we should introduce to young children the idea of same sex puppet marriage. Will this confuse everybody at a young age?

If I can get close enough to a rug rat, I think I’d love to have one of my cracked reporters from DelBloggolo interview the little darlings to find out their thoughts about the whole thing. I particularly would like to know their views on homosexuality, and marriage between same sex puppets.

I see Pulitzer in my future.

You go into the closet for a pair of shoes and come out with a pair of puppets!

2 comments:

Princess Pat said...

I don't have any problems at all
with same sex marriages but Bert
and Ernie???? That would wrong
on so many levels. Almost as bad as running a red light,
getting a ticket and waiting for just
the right moment to tell his wife.

pamela said...

It is absolutely, hands-down, the best couple of this type we have ever share with our innocent children because we can tailor it to fit our own sexual preferences. If there is a suggestion that makes one or the other of us uncomfortable, we can just change it. No other couple allows such flexibility. Besides introducing marriage introduces a host of others tangibles..........just saying.