Friday, April 26, 2013

OK GOD, I’M READY!


TLW (The Little Woman) had the job of buying tickets for the Broadway musical comedy: ‘Nice Work If You Can Get It!” starring Mathew Broderick, Jessie Mueller, Michael McGrath and Blythe Danner, an old-fashioned cast with all the years of acting experience that make this show such a hit! The show is a new take on a classic 1920s musical farce – it’s the tale of Jimmy Winter, a wealthy and carefree playboy living the good life in the midst of Prohibition, Jimmy Winters was played by Mathew Broderick.

TLW did her job well! Maybe so well that it is time to go for me. You see… the seats were the best in the house! Front row, center right behind the orchestra pit and the conductor! As we were seated, my life flashed before my eyes, yes you only get these seats if you are going to die, and I have to say, they were to die for.

First of I always wondered what went on in the orchestra pit, and now I know, and I will reveal the secret here… they play music! As I stared down into the pit it looked like a Mafia convention, all dressed in black shirts and really snazzy ties. The problem is: not many people see them dressed like that.


I told TLW if I weren’t married to her, I would certainly marry her now, those were too good of seats not to. The woman has magic in her laptop, where she ordered the seats on line!

The show was great, old time songs like: Let’s call the whole thing off, S’ wonderful and Fascinating Rhythm. The dancers were amazing, the gals gorgeous and the men very athletic. The costumes were beautifully coordinated, with Jessie Mueller and Mathew Broderick doing a number of dance numbers that were incredibly physical, and you could see them panting at the end.

Michael McGrath
One of the last scenes was the pre wedding luncheon, a very hysterical scene that brought down the house, and the acting of Michael McGrath, who made it really click as the butler Cookie.

Our Table!
But that wasn’t enough: no we headed to a very romantic little Italian risotrante, up on Second Avenue between 82nd and 83rd Streets called Firenze Ristorante. This is a candle-lit dining experience that you should have if you are still in love, and want to renew that feeling that you had as a young man with your special gal. Mine sat across from me and I was 25 again. Maybe it is the atmosphere, maybe the champagne, maybe the food or flickering candlelight’s and the authentic Italian accents that serviced the place. 1594 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10028 and you can call:
(212) 861-9368

TLW and me, and a wonderful magic day! That’s amore’!

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

If sitting across from TLW made you feel 25 again, would it be alright if I took her to dinner?

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Sure, just be prepared to listen.