Monday, April 22, 2013

WHAT GOES UP… HITS ME ON THE HEAD!


I am entering the age of senility! Twice in the last 6 months I have locked myself out of the house. After the first time I swore I’d never let it happen again, and until the next time, I swear it will never happen again.

The dumb ass
The first time it happened, I called TLW (The Little Woman) who came home from work and rescued me, the second time she couldn’t. But I blame the American War Veteran’s for this one!

I was all set to leave for a 5:00 P.M. meeting at the agency with some Board of Governors and the CEO of the agency. We were getting a heads up on things and I had my notebook and was ready to go. As I locked the door behind me, I checked that I had my keys and closed the door shut. Walking to my car I notice a yellow plastic bag from the American War Veterans, looking for help in their clothing drive. I decided I would take it out and put it in my pocket and go to the meeting, but then had a second thought. Since it was starting to cool slightly, I decided to go back inside and get my jacket. I open the front door, and go to the kitchen and place the Vet’s envelope on the table and place my keys that are in my hands on the table with it.

I go back into the closet in the Foyer, grab a coat and lock the front door and close it. I go to my car and the door doesn’t unlock like it usually does. I shake myself since I don’t need to have the key in the door lock to unlock it but nothing happens. I reach in my pocket, nothing, then the other pocket and nothing, I realize my mistake and since it is almost quitting time for TLW, I call her but no dice: she can’t leave! I call the agency and tell them I will be a little late.

I have to wait. I roam around my property and my neighbor Carol comes out and asks what the matter is: am I drunk. “No! I’m NOT drunk, just locked out of my house, I left the keys inside.”

Finally TLW comes home and off I go to my meeting where I apologize for being late and see my old buddy and board member Ken, the one I teased so unmercifully about leaving his keys and cell phone everywhere but with him. He has a big Cheshire cat’s grin on his face, and so there goes my fun with that!

No comments: