Monday, April 08, 2013

WHERE HAVE ALL THE GEEKS GONE?


Looking at my laptop I decided I have too much stuff on it and need to get some of it off. I have a backup hard drive that sits attentive to my desktop computer, so I will put the stuff I want from the laptop to the backup. I decide to go to the Apple store to purchase a cable or fire wire or time bomb or whatever the hell they call it.

I enter the threshold of the store and can’t get two feet when the people in blue surround me. These are the geeks, the heart and motherboard of Apple. I get a woman geek, and this is our first experience as geek-geekee!

“I need a cable to connect from my laptop to my desktop.” This is technical stuff.

“What kind of laptop do you have?”

“A small white one.” More technical stuff!

“We don’t make those anymore!”

She says to follow her into the kingdom and comes upon this other geek who is introduced to the conference and takes over. He is more interested in shaking my hand and introducing himself. I explain my situation and he leads me to the cables. He looks and starts to ask me how old the laptop and desktop are. I of course have no idea, since time goes by so fast, I can’t remember if it is two or three years old! He decides he needs to talk to another geek. Another Geek, comes over, we all shake hands again, and I’m wondering if we should wear badges that say: “Hi. My name is” and you pen in your name. He makes another recommendation and we close the deal. It takes three Geeks to come to a conclusion. I get an option of  my receipt being sent to me or handed to me. I decide to have it sent, after all that is email and more technical, they’ll have more respect if they THINK I know what the hell it is I’m doing. Respectability is SO important.

Leaving the store, I am very happy, I can now do what I been meaning to do for over a year. I get home in a very good mood and start to hook up the cable. I set one end into the laptop and search for the place to stick the cable into the desktop. There is none! THE GEEKS LET ME DOWN!!! What is going on, what is wrong with this world?

When Apple does the choking, then things are going down hill quickly.

No comments: