Saturday, September 01, 2018

WHY ITALIAN AMERICAN BOYS LIKE TO EAT.


“Mangia!”

The rallying cry of Italian: mammas, and grandmothers.

Grandma: “Joe-joe. A why you so skinny, you gotta eat!”
Me: “I love you, grandma!”

Yes, it was a need to not disappear and be invisible that we were as children goaded to eat.

If grandma visited, she would bring with her a gallon of homemade wine made by grandpa, salami, cheeses of all kinds, meats such as pork and lamb chops and sausages, all kinds of sausages, skinny, cheese, pork, and beef along with hot and sweet types.

On my shelf in my refrigerator where I store the meats that I will cook soon I named: ‘Grandma’s place’. It is held in deep respect and I like to hold a very private memorial service in her honor as I praise the latest sausage and chops. She was an amazing woman, filled with wise recipes and delicious antidotes for my starving stature.

But why is it that Italian American boys like to cook, like to eat and respect the golden hands of grandma and mamma? BECAUSE THEY LIKE TO EAT, AND DON’T WANT TO MISS A MEAL! Of course!

Sometimes I make a meal that brings me back to the old days such as Pasta Fazioli. The making of the meal becomes a sacred ritual, filled with memories and tears, and a remembrance of love so strong and complete. I hear my dad asking for red-hot cherry peppers to put in the dish of pasta Fazioli. I think back as to how I tried the peppers, falling in love again all over. Yes, food is an emotional moment.

But why? Why the emotional attachment that links Italian American boys to food? Memories simply stated a dedication to the love of memories of their mammas and grandmamas.



No comments: