Tuesday, March 20, 2018

IN HER ORBIT


She enters my house every other Sunday, gingerly stepping over the thresh hold of her past into a world she once knew. Looking for me she smiles and heads for her treat of potato chips and soda waiting for her on the kitchen counter.

She never speaks, not even to her parents, since the day she was born. Never having the ability due to brain damage at birth, I am not convinced what happened, but suspect; yet there is nothing I can do about it. An enigma wrapped in a riddle that defies any code breaker from solving.

‘She' is my daughter Ellen, an icon for her parents that weighs all our decisions we make. She has consumed my life and that of her mother's. But she is something else, something =r someone so strong that she can drive me to do all I can because she teaches me every day that I must work for others, must devote my life to helping and reaching out, learning compassion, understanding, and charity. ‘She' is my hero.

Today Ellen is 46, a middle-aged woman with no future other than what I can help provide for her. We are anchored here in our locality because we will never leave her, she is our daughter and we both love and fear for her, we are parents of a child/adult of developmental disabilities and intellectual non-development.

It is her birthday, and to her, it is just another day, without concepts, without awareness, and without dreams. When she comes home, and I see her as she walks over to her favorite spot on the couch, if imagine her with a couple of kids, sometimes even with a husband, a little family visiting grandma and grandpa. Instead, we have the eerie silence of Nature saying nothing and offering even less.

Happy Birthday Ellen!

No comments: