Thursday, January 18, 2007

I’M ALL WIRED UP!

Once a year TLW (The Little Woman) likes to challenge herself and anybody living in the house to “Wiring With TLW”, where we take a contestant, usually me and try to fry his brain, make it hurt and give it a charley horse. The idea of the game is to attach as many devices as you can to a TV and make them work.

This is a very tricky game, where the contestant tries to follow TLW’s logic as she loudly describes the wiring plan and what we should do. Today’s contest involves a DVD, VCR, TV, Cable box and a router. This game is played up in our bedroom where we are hooking up things. When you get to be our age, you watch a lot of TV in bed, as compared to years ago.

The gear that one uses in playing this game aside from what was just described, is a lot of wires, connectors, splitters, wires with one, two, and three ends, and all should be color coded, and the holes where they are plugged into should be in the darkest part of the room, making it virtually impossible to see. To add additional excitement to the game, what we do is try to find wires from the past in our messy garage, moving stuff around while maintaining one’s balance. If you do not have the wires, you HAVE TO go to Radio Shack and buy them. You lose points if that happens.

Every contestant gets three tries, and you have only 24 hours in which to complete the game! If you fail to win, you get no snack, and have to read in bed. If you cry or ask for your Mother, you can also lose points!

TLW has conducted this game on me every year for the last 35 years, and always wins! I am trying for my first victory this year, as I was in training trying to right my wireless router, which is another blog. I also spent time in training by watching the guys from Best Buy hook up my new TV, DVD, VCR and surround sound as I watched and got more confused.

We have had contest that included TV’s, VCR’s and games that the Boys had, making them look at me and ask: “Why is Mommy such a maniac?” I always reply: “Because it has wires and connectors and she is looking to collect on my life insurance.”

No comments: