Sunday, January 21, 2007

I’M STAIN GRADED AND READY TO CHIP

Today I started on my first wood carving in quite a while. I have been psyching myself for this endeavor for a few months now, and finally feel ready for the challenge.

Michelangelo once said that the object he sculpted was living in the stone, and that he was just liberating it. How true that is, but as you liberate, so can you kill. Like a surgeon, you cannot cut too deeply or not deep enough. If you do, you kill your work.

My theme is a carousel horse I am copying from the early 20th century masters of carousel carving, which will be in base relief, and mounted on a certain spot in my den. Along side of this I will paint in oil or acrylic two smaller horses that will hang on either side of the carving. I hope to make them in very rich colors and they will be of different poses.

This project is exciting me beyond my comprehension, it may be that it is because my retirement allows me the freedom to do this, at my leisure, and will fulfill and give me a meaningful day that I can leave behind me.

To sit before a fresh piece of wood, with the smell and anticipation of carving the wood in my nostrils, I plan to be immersed in pure happiness and joy, seeing it come alive, prodding my self to do so at a very high level of creativity, singing to myself in pure operatic tones, as I stain this stain graded gift to myself, I will be the master of my world.

I will start with no one around me, I will set the tone as I like, with Strauss or Schubert playing in the background, and I will be very happy!

No comments: