Saturday, February 24, 2007

SATURDAY NITE AND I AIN’T GOT NO RESERVATIONS

After my encounter with the Tamale family, and learning about life in Levittown in the early fifties, TLW (The Little Woman) and I decided to go to dinner somewhere. Being how it was early and we had no reservations we figured we could probably get in anywhere.

Big mistake.

One place at 4:50 pm had an hour and forty-five minute wait! We scratched our heads and thought about other possibilities and finally decided on a steak house we had been to before, when we got there we were told 30 to 40 minutes waiting time. We decided to spell our time at the bar and wait it out. The place was hopping with younger couples and although we didn’t feel out of place, I tried my best to fit in. I ordered the usual and took notice of the couples waiting for tables and how they should really be home eating salads like me. Actually the only one skinny there was TLW!

We sat at the very corner of a three sided or horse shoe shaped bar, and next to us around the corner sat a young bald fellow with a moustache and his wife (she was clean shaven), and I was suspicious of him because he kept staring straight ahead. I thought that maybe he was listening to everything TLW and I said, and sure enough, he and his wife both interrupted me to make a comment. It was a friendly comment, but they were listening already, so it was too late for me to sound like an ax murderer, being how all my conversation up to that point was sane for me.

So what do you do in a case like that? I ordered another drink, and told TLW she was driving home after dinner. The wait was over an hour, but the steak was worth the wait, and so were the two Jack Daniel Manhattans and the premium beer that went down with the steak.

Man, I know how to eat! TLW and my two sons think I can remember every meal I ever ate, which is ridiculous, I mean haven’t they ever heard of actual conscious memory? I think it starts about two and a half years of age.

No comments: