Friday, February 16, 2007

OUT OF THE PAST!

Every once in a while I get a call from someone out of my past. I was sitting in my easy chair, with a cup of coffee and a newspaper when the phone next to me rang. Picking it up I said the usual “Hello?” and the voice on the other end said, “Joe, Is this Joe?
I thought maybe it was a movie mogul wanting me for his next picture as the love interest for Kim Bassinger, but no, it was Joe “The Coal Man” Coleman! Joe is one of those people you never want to forget, a real decent man, with a good set of morals and a big heart. And talk about loving his kids, wow!

Joe and I met at Publishers Clearing House many years ago, then teamed up for a while to do some freelance. Somehow our paths split into different directions, and we lost touch. Funny thing is I was thinking of Joe only recently and realized I couldn’t get in touch with him.

Once “The Coal Man” asked me if I wanted to see pictures of his Pride and Joy, and I said “Yes”, expecting photos of his kids, but instead got pictures of the products Pride and Joy the cleansers! He has since then given his son the pictures, and so another Joe “The Coal Man” Coleman is at large.

Corn was his forte, using it as any occasion that may present itself. This meant funerals, hangings and embalmings always a humble man, never bragging and always hustling, Joe would stop by my office to chat and before you knew it the time had escaped me. So we continued our conversations at lunch, just to make sure the corn was all used up.

Well roll out the corn on a cob, Mr. Joe “The Coal Man” Coleman is back in town! He started to give me his e-mail address and it started with the letters “JC” and I asked: Does the original JC know you are using his initials? There was a long pause as Joe had stepped away from the phone. Coming back I asked, what happened and he said he had to get away from the window because he was afraid of being struck down by lightning.

The official weigh-in:

O lbs. lost!

Well I didn’t gain any weight, and according to the doctor’s scale I lost 2 additional lbs.

No comments: