Monday, February 05, 2007

SUPER BOWL, OR HOW BIG IS THAT POTTY?

OK, the grouch in me is coming out. Being how the Super Bowl was played yesterday, and two great franchises played in it, there were no real losers. However, the game itself is lost.

What am I saying? Think about this: when they played Super Bowls I, II, III, and IV, they played for significance to the fan. The rooting interest was about who was the champion of professional football. Today that significance is all but lost.

The hype is stupid, comparing head coaches physically, as if that would have an impact on the game. They compare cities, as if that would have an impact on the outcome, they (the press) make all these silly comparisons, based on some notion that these “stats” bear some kind of value to the real fan.

The problem I’m having doesn’t even end there; there are also the sponsors. Selling food for Super Bowl Sunday. When did deciding the national championship include a menu? No wonder we are all overweight, and looking sloppy. I can understand the sponsors wanting to sell to a vast market, one that has no age or sex limit, nor does it discriminate against locale, all are fair game in selling and marketing goods and services, let alone ideas. But come on, I want to see a game played by two great teams. I want to see football, long TD’s and open field tackling.

So we arrange a big spread that we lay out before us. We have chips, ribs, chile, beer, booze, we cook pastas and make dips, a whole array of food and drink. Mexican, Chinese, TexMex, Italian, even Kosher. When do we eat it? At the kickoff? Some of the participants don’t know a first down from down under, don’t know a field goal from a field mouse, just there for the party!

Well, for me, I’m watched the game, for the game’s sake, food did not play a part for me (I wouldn’t mention booze.) I had my dinner before the kickoff, and when I felt like snacking, I did.

Being how the Jets were not participants of this event they call the “Super Bowl”, could have defied my diet and get some Chinese dumplings, with that great sauce they put on it, maybe a little wonton soup, and eggroll, and afterwards as I try to sleep, ask myself this question: “What the hell was I thinking about? My stomach doesn’t want me to sleep, and I have to exercise tomorrow, how can I even move?”

Hey, life is filled with contradictions.

No comments: