Friday, July 25, 2008

AND? FOR WHAT?

Yesterday, #2 Son said that he would like to take Arabic in school if he is going to be a journalist. We discussed it all, and I said that if that is what he thinks he needs, fine with me, although I have my reservations.

#2 Son thinks that it would be a great idea to learn the language because he would be at a premium in the journalistic world with that ability to speak and read the language.

TLW (The Little Woman) thinks that it is not such a great idea. Based on her logic, and her need to put all the pieces in place, all the ducks in a row, and having a plan that is solid.

The discussion became somewhat heated as #2 Son felt strongly about his plan, TLW was not so sure and I was ambivalent about it all. I felt that to successfully learn this particular language, you needed to live with the natives to fully learn the nuances of the tongue. The reason being that it is a non-western culture, with its own set of values.

After an emotional discussion by TLW and #2 Son, we left it for lunch.

TLW went into #2 Sons room to further discuss the issue, where he announced that he would hire an interpreter to deal with all Middle East issues!

I wonder who is paying for the interpreter?

No comments: