Sunday, July 27, 2008

HAUNTED?

I have been living in my house for over 24 years. In that time not much occurs. The only history made is what we do as a family living here.

Every now and then, when I am sitting alone at night watching a ballgame, I get this strange feeling that I’m being watched. Not only that, but the sense that something had just moved in the other room, a quick motion! This has been going on for years, and became more pronounced since we extended the house. Years ago, when we first moved in, it happened only on rare occasions, but since the extension, it is happening during the daytime, too! Once last year, while cooking, I heard the door open, and footsteps race up the stairway. I thought it was #2 Son, since I could see the stairway in the hall. When I went to speak with him in his room, there was no one there; he wasn’t home!

One night many years ago, a neighbor of mine who lived across the street, told me an interesting story. It seems that the original owner of the house, a woman in her forties, died in the house. Something we didn’t know, and I wonder if I would have bought the place if I did. She died from a sickness, but what I don’t know.

The other night, I was sitting, watching a ballgame, when suddenly I detected a movement in the entryway, but saw nothing. Then it happened again, and a third time! I decided that someone must be at the door. I got up to investigate, but no one was there. I went back to the game and thought; it must be that lady, or her ghost. Maybe she is unsettled, or angry with me for renovating everything.

As I watched, another movement and then a sound! The sound was like someone dropped something. Again, I looked closely, but the Mets had the bases loaded and I didn’t want to miss it. After the game, I got up to look investigate, nothing was found.

Was it all the product of my over active imagination? If so, why does it happen with regularity? I’m not frightened of it; in fact, it would be neat to come face-to-apparition with a ghost.

I mentioned it to TLW (The Little Woman) but she just listens, looks at me and goes back to what she was doing.

Maybe I need a rest.

No comments: