Thursday, July 24, 2008

FINDING FRIENDS

Today I started a health kick and decided that I was going to walk for 40 minutes, nothing too nuts or strenuous, just a continuous walk. And where else would I walk in this heat and humidity but the mall.

One of the things I like about walking the mall is there are all kinds of things to do, smells to take in and people to see.

As I was walking, I came upon a group of people in wheel chairs. A care taker was with a woman in a wheel chair who was severely disabled both physically and mentally. There was a caretaker pushing her, lovingly pointing out the sights, and speaking into her ear. As I passed the wheel chair, the seated woman reached out toward me as I was passing. I immediately stopped and took her hand. The lady pushing the chair smiled at me and said; “Thank you!”

Being familiar with people of all types of disabilities, I asked which group they belonged with. She said they were from AHRC. Now I was really interested, and said; “Oh, I belong to the Board of Director’s!” Asking which group home, again her answer was to my interest. “Shoreham” she said with a pleasant smile. “Really! My daughter lives in Shoreham in North II!” I said. “Her name is ELLEN”, I offered. The woman’s eyes lit up! “Oh, I know Ellen!”

It seems my beautiful daughter knows more people in that organization than I do, and probably has more friends, too. But it was wonderful to see this wonderful woman treating those in her charge with such respect, love and care. I am grateful for that.

Being a parent of such a person as my daughter, I know how loving they are. I know the pain they suffer both physically and emotionally. I see the love in their eyes and the warmth in their hearts. I also see the ignorance of the public. At first it used to anger me, then one day I woke up and realized it was just ignorance, not meanness. People are good, and will rise to all occasions when compassion is needed. They support our agency, Suffolk Chapter AHRC with golf tournaments, donations, gifts and volunteerism.

One of the hardest things to see in my lifetime has been the look of hopelessness in public by parents like my wife and me. I see fathers who carry their whole family, Mothers who carry the pain of their child’s disability to the grave, either theirs or their child’s.

To all of you who stare at disabled people, they are not freaks; they have been dealt a lesser hand by God than you did. If you don’t know one person like that, then you are missing what the human spirit provides in terms of unconditional love. To help one even for a moment; is rising the human spirit to its highest level.

One of the great things about the agency is that it gave my whole family freedom. My wife need not ruin her back or joints any more than she has because she cares for an adult who is disabled, Sons who need not get angry or doubt their right to be “Normal”, or for a father to write this. But most importantly, my daughter Ellen now has a home whee she is cared for 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. She is entertained, taught, respected and loved by those that care for her, and can do more for her than either my wife or I could.

Thank you, AHRC, and all the organizations that make life bearable for all.


http://www.ahrcsuffolk.org/

check them out.

1 comment:

Steve Philp said...

Great story, and a great reminder of why I love your writing!