Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SOCIALLY SECURED


When #2 Son was born, the hospital arranged for us to get him a social security card. Of course, once we had the card, we had a number we used for his business. We put the card away, and never thought about it again. I at one point scanned in the card for a record, and have used that scan often for him to give copies of the card.

Recently #2 got himself a new job. The job required he bring his actual card with him, and present it to his new employer.

The first day of his new job came, and off to work went #2 Son. One hour later home comes #2 Son.

“What happened?” said I.

“They won’t accept a copy of the card, Mom said to go with me to the Social Security Office and get a new card.”

Grudgingly I went, feeling he is old enough to get it by himself.

We arrive at the office, and the place is jammed. Old people, workers, mothers with children, Whites, Blacks, Hispanics and Asians all sitting and waiting for their number to be called.

We take a number and make ourselves comfortable. All of a sudden, we are almost next to be called. #2 Son says; “Oh!’ Pulling out an application, he asks me for a pen. I tell Last Second Charlie I don’t have one on me. Fortunately a nice guy sitting next to us offers us his. Last Second Charlie starts to fill out the application, meticulously following all the instructions to the letter.

We are called and he hands the poor clerk the app. The man stares at it for a long time, He turns it sideways and shakes his head; “No.” He tries upside down, still no luck! He deciphers what he can, and starts to ask questions. “Is this an 8?” “Is that 152?”

After observing the poor bastard, I tell my son; “You write like your Mother.” He smirks.

I once took a note she gave me to the pharmacist to read for me, because I could not translate it. The pharmacist couldn’t either, but offered me some of his aspirin after he tried.

One year one of the kids was sick and stayed home from school. TLW (The Little Woman) sent a note. The school thought whatever my kid had, TLW had too!

No comments: