Saturday, July 26, 2008

SWIMMING IN A SEA OF INCOMPETENCE.



After all the rain we are having, my pool chemistry is a little out of whack. So I decided to go to a place called “Island Recreational” to replenish my supply.

I walk into the place, a rather large establishment that houses everything for pools you need, everything except good management.

Perusing through the store, I pick off one item, and salesperson comes over and asks if he can help. I inquire where the algaecide is and he points one out. Asking me if my pool is Halogen or not, I look at him like he is a freak. He shuts one of his eyes, I think the one on his forehead and points this bottle out to me. I take it, without knowing if halogen is in my pool or not.

I ask where the DE is, and he says at the checkout.

Off to the checkout I go, don’t see it, so figure I’ll ask when I get my turn. My turn comes immediately after the two ladies in front of me. Unfortunately, that is about 30 minutes later. It seems the woman at the checkout is questioning the products, checking the receipt and finding out her card is no good, she needs another one. Then she sends the poor checkout girl to the back room for the DE.

The lady behind her, and in front of me is rolling her eyes at me over what is transpiring. I roll back. She happens to look in my basket and sees my battle of algaecide and says; “I hope you don’t mind my telling you, but that algaecide is two for the price of one.” “Why thank you” I say thinking: why didn’t the halogen man tell me that when I put it in my basket, and why are no signs posted?

To make matters worse, there are two managers standing at a checkout doing nothing. The lady in front of me notices the two slackers and says: “management.” Meanwhile the line is getting longer and more impatient. The poor checkout girl, was moving at rate of one product every birthday, was indeed taking forever, having to run into the back for every order of DE! Why would you do that to the poor girl? What is so valuable about DE that you must hide it? Why do I go to these places? Most importantly, do you care?

Thank you, very much.

No comments: