Thursday, July 03, 2008

WELL I’LL BE!


Today a strange thing happened. I guess you could call it a strange coincidence.

I was working on a painting today of a lighthouse, and I was happy with my preliminary sketch that I put on the canvas. I wanted to create a mood, and as I started to paint in the sky, I was looking to achieve a stormy effect.

Carefully I started to lay down my colors, but for the life of me, I could not achieve what I was looking for. In fact, things went so badly that I spilled this jar of turpentine and paint on my shoes by knocking it off my table and onto the concrete floor!

That did it! I decided to knock off and try again tomorrow. I went to the library and looked for some inspiration for the sky. Looking at magazines, and books of photography and paintings by American Masters, I put the books down and gave that up, deciding to go home.

As I left the library, somewhat disappointed, I went out the main entrance and hear a rumble, with large drops of water falling on my head. I looked up, and there before me, was my sky, with all its grayness, and white edging of clouds that formed a forbiddance that only comes with storm clouds!

I ran home and photographed it, and suddenly, if you will pardon the pun, things were looking up! True story.

No comments: