Friday, April 03, 2009

ALBANY, HERE I COME!

Today I drive up to Albany New York for a NYSARC convention http://www.nysarc.org/. Wild women and booze will be nowhere in sight. Instead, there will be parents, mostly over 65 and tired but ready for a fight. And where best to fight but the State capitol. The Bums are really screwing it up, and taking advantage of a weak and vulnerable population.

I represent my chapter, Suffolk AHRC, http://www.ahrcsuffolk.org/ and along with three other delegates, we will pound the floors of the convention hall, the podium if need be, and maybe even some political heads. There are some 58 other chapters, representing the various counties in the state.

We will arrive around 4 pm, check in and around 6:00 pm, will go to dinner, hear a lot of speeches, yawn and then around 8:00 pm sit down in a large room and meet until about 11:00 pm. I know it is a lot to do and a long day, but I see my sweet daughter’s face in front of me. I also see so many poor souls that need help, who may not sleep well because of how they feel.

Then, in October, we do it all over again, only for a longer period-of-time. It does keep me off the streets, and out of pool halls and bars. If you’ve been to Albany lately, no one goes there, people leave. It is a ghost town that: is starting to look like it has abandoned all hope of recovery!

TLW (The Little Woman) will have #2 Son, all to herself, while I shuffle papers, listen and argue. Usually, after the first meeting of the night, I get sequestered by some chapter to meet in a bar for some consultation and discussion. I make sure that my colleagues: Jack Daniels, Mr. Martini and Mr. Rossi accompany me. Being how this is a highly charged convention this year, I will really rely on them!

The picture of the Governor is the best I could find!

Please remember my brother-in-law, John, and all those that need our prayers.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Keep fighting Joe, the cause is so worthwhile! We will be thinking of you and hoping for some good and badly needed changes to happen. Go get them!!