Wednesday, November 04, 2009

AMBIGUOUS DISCISIONS

Or… how to shop with TLW (The Little Woman)

Most husbands know enough to keep their big mouths shut. Some don’t, or have a death wish! I subscribe to the mantra: when in doubt, place my foot where I chew, and hope I die soon!

Fortunately I wash my feet every morning. I was being led through the tile store, Lowe’s and Home Depot last Saturday looking for styles, prices and ideas for our upstairs toilet. I believe that a nice-looking toilet is a productive toilet. I hate to pay anyone to do what I can do. (Work-wise, that is) Over the years I’ve ripped out walls, floors and ceilings. I replaced all with ease if not quickly. I’ve tiled my counter top years ago, so I know what it means.

As we wish to sell the old homestead, I decided we need to update the kitchen a little, a new counter-top, new paint job, and some small-added touches to make it sellable. Similarly, the upstairs bathroom could use a new face. TLW wasn’t in a hurry to do the upstairs toilet until I said I would do all the work! Suddenly we were in the middle of ceramic retail heaven!

Strolling through the many little toilet displays, I saw this one display that I like for the way it was designed, although I didn’t think it would work in my house. We pretty much agree on the design, color and styles we are looking for. However sometimes you see things that are of another taste, that are done well, I like to comment when I do. I feel if a toilet display makes you want to sit down and read: it’s good enough for me!

Me: “Gee, that looks nice!”

She: “Ewww, that wouldn’t go in our bathroom!”

Me: “I know, but it is nice!”

I see this beautiful molding for the edging of the top of the tile, that although it’s not what we want, is beautiful, none-the -less.

Me: “Wow! That is an interesting color!”

She: “Would that work with our sink top? You said you wanted to stay in a certain color scheme.”

Me: “Yes, I still do, but can’t I look at it and like it? That’s nice! Good detail!”

She: “It’s too big for our walls.”

I’ve been having this re occurring nightmare; we are shopping for the tiles, one-at-a-time!

No comments: