Wednesday, November 18, 2009

THAT'S A GRANDMA!


They seem to get younger every year! You can’t tell the grandmas from the granddaughters any more.

My baby sister is a grandmother that happens to be celebrating another birthday. I won’t tell you how old she is, but guess between 21 and 39. I think it is somewhere in between.

Actually, I remember vividly that day in dear ole Brooklyn. Mom said: “I’m going on vacation, and when I get back, I expect this mess to be cleaned up!” She was looking at me, my older sister; Tess, (much older) was hiding under the bed, eating cookies, while my younger sister Fran (not by much) was hiding under a stool. (She was standing up!) Dumb ass (yours truly) just happened to be standing there, so I got the job!

A big fanfare was given at the arrival of MaryAnn, or Marriucia, as we called her. She was Mom’s immediate favorite because she had natural curly hair, and was named after her Mother: Mary.

Dad naturally was worried. Not only another mouth to feed: but one that never stopped talking. We later on moved to Long Island, where Mom brought home still another sister. (This fact started me on my road to drinking.) Poor Dad couldn’t blame that one on a cold water flat, with no heat!

Raising two children and sending them to college, who happen to be wonderful people, she now presides over her first grandchild. This has worked out well for her, since she now can go coast to coast showing pictures of tiny little Al. Her oldest is getting married one of these days, to a wonderful and charming woman named: Kim. As you might not know, we are only accepting ‘Kims’ into the family these past few years. See last October ’08 and the Florida wedding on the beach.

But not having the birthday girl around will be very sad for Thanksgiving, since she will be flying around. No, not on her broom this time, but for the airline she is a ‘flight attendant for. (For you politically incorrect, a airline stewardess.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
Love,Joanne :-)

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Oh, Yes! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Anonymous said...

MaryAnn
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Hope that you are well.
Ashburn is not the same without you.