Sunday, November 29, 2009

LIFE’S PLEASURES

It was Thanksgiving morning, and it dawned dark and dreary. Grabbing a cup of coffee, I sat down and read the newspaper, while TLW (The Little Woman) had the morning news on. The news was centering on this couple that crashed Obama’s state dinner for the president of India. The newscast kept repeating itself, showing the same pictures of the couple entering the state dinner. By now, TLW was doing something else, and I got disgusted with the news and switched to my favorite channel, one that shows old movies.

While sipping my coffee, I had a hankering for some walnut bread I had made last Christmas, and asked TLW if we had any. She suggested I look in the freezer. I made a call to my aunt in Florida to wish her a happy Thanksgiving, and then looked for the bread. Sadly, there was none in the freezer, and now I had a real hankering for it. I could almost taste the butter smeared on it, so I felt disappointed.

Entering the kitchen, TLW (the love of my life) pointed to the aluminum foiled package on the counter. It was the bread! She found a loaf that was frozen! Oh, happy day it was! Happy, happy, happy!

Sitting down in my chair, I returned to the TV and on the screen was the most perfect movie for my mood: “Roberta”, with Fred Astaire, Ginger Rodgers, Irene Dunne and Randolph Scott. The music and tap dancing along with a few dance numbers by Astaire and Rodgers kept me enthralled and in a great mood. Coupled with my bread and coffee, this was heaven!

I came to realize how much we have thrown away in American society. We don’t dance and sing in movies anymore. Instead, we chase cars, kill a lot of people in unimaginable ways, make computer screens the stars of the movies, with stuff I can’t understand, and enough ‘F’ words to make me immune to it’s impact! Where is the talent there used to be? Did it die a natural death, or did we kill it with indifference? Why was I so happy? Was it because I lost then found an old friend, or maybe met one I never knew existed?

The women were glamorous, beautiful and the acting wasn’t so hot. The men were handsome, talented and the acting wasn’t so hot. But I tell you: they entertained me! They made movies with moxie, imagination that was based in the realities of life, with flair. The movies were seldom dark, and always fun to watch, and artistically well done. Cinematography was an art form in those days.

No comments: