Friday, November 20, 2009

TELL ME: HOW DO I SAY “NO”?


The letter came in the mail, a plain white business size envelope, your standard #10. It was addressed to me, and it came from the pastor of the church. “Ah,” I thought, “he’s kicking me out of Catholicism, and I can now sleep on Sunday mornings.”

It was a letter inviting me to kick around some ideas for fund raising with him. Reading and hearing about how bad the economy is treating the local parish, I felt the guilt and decided to attend his meeting.

Arriving on time, Father Dan, a rolly polly built man, and I both rolled up to the table and sat down. There was a small group of us, and they all seemed eager. There was a list of thirty items, which had been suggested to the priest, and he laid it out for each of us. One thing that was missing was a golf tournament. I made a big mistake: I spoke up!

Stupid: “How come there is no mention of a golf tournament? I know they are good fund-raisers, having started one, once?”

Father Dan: “When can you start to organize it? And, thanks for chairing it.”

Stupid: “I, uh, that is, errr, I guess as soon as possible.”

There were no cookies, and no coffee at this meeting, only prospects for hard work.

If someone knows, would you please let me know how I can keep my big mouth shut?

2 comments:

Fran said...

Don't ask me, my foot is usually in mine! Looking forward to seeing you on Thanksgiving.
Love,
Fran

Jim Pantaleno said...

Let me know if the tournament gets scheduled. I'd love to play.