Wednesday, May 12, 2010

LIGHTING A BOMB!


No, I’m not into terrorism: I’m talking about my Fund Raising Committee. They may have passed on, and forgot to lie down!

It seems that they are all over 65 for the most part, and can’t get started! I ask for someone to take on an idea, to investigate what it will take, to do it, say a bus trip to Yankee Stadium to visit Monument Park, with a game including lunch, and they all look down on the floor, no eye contact!

I get the sense that the people are afraid to do anything outside of what they know. If that is the case, then why show up? I think my mother at 92 could do more for me than these stick-in-the-muds.


It’s like I was made General of the Army, except they army consists of ‘F’ Troop, those whacky soldiers in the 1960’s TV comedy!

They seem vital: it is just that inertia has set in.

You know that old saying: “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”? Boy is that ever true! I’m almost their age, and I still got a whole lot of life in me, and dammit, I will use it. How do people retreat into oblivion? How can they let themselves disappear into the woodwork, and not do something productive with their lives?

My Golf Committee is a younger group, and they are all gung-ho, while the fundraisers are all tired, and afraid to step forward!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Your job just got a lot harder if any of your committee members read this blog. (Nah, they're probably too tired.)