Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A NURSE COMES TO VISIT MOM


I stood near the door waiting in my mother’s house for the expected arrival of the visiting nurse, who would evaluate mom and get her moving back on the path of independence.

I have always respected nurses, I think they are more important than even doctors and should be paid much more than they get. They should get an additional 3% of any earned income the doctor earns for their hard work. The government should subsidize their income with a pension plan that allows them to retire at the age of 55, and they are long overdue the respect they deserve.

The nurse arrived, an attractive woman about in her mid to late forties, and seemed very business-like. I let her in and she gets herself settled and interviews my two sisters: Tessie my older sister (much older) and Nippy, one of my younger sisters from Connecticut and myself.

“Can I get your something, maybe coffee?”  I ask.

“Um, no thank you, not if it isn’t made.” She replies.

“How about tea, can I get you a cup of tea?” I follow-up.

“No tea, I don’t drink tea, I’m Irish!”

OK, she’s Irish, doesn’t drink tea, I have to discuss this one with TLW (The Little Woman) when I get home, I thought that when Irishmen were in hospitals under an IV, the men got whiskey and the woman tea, this is not the case after-all!

“No tea???” TLW an Irishman drinks tea all day long, She has tea with her lunch, with her afternoon naps and pizza, she is a tea drinker, will make tea and asks me to join her, which of course I will.

“Do you know WHY I don’t drink tea?” she asks.

“OK, I’ll bite, why?” (I’m just a great conversationalist! You should hear me in my sleep!)

“Well, growing up in an Irish home, if you got sick, had a minor ache or pain, or just looked cross-eyed, you got a cup of tea to drink!”

My niece Katie-a real nurse!
Isn’t life interesting? You learn some funny stuff from ordinary and extraordinary people, even heroes: like nurses!

A special “Hello” to my beautiful niece Katie Dzicek, who is a nurse out in San Diego somewhere, causing all that sunshine in southern California!

All you rich, unmarried men out there-send me a recent photo and financial statement of the last five years of proven income, and I'll forward it to my niece Katie for her consideration.Mind you she is beautiful, intelligent and related to me!

No comments: