Tuesday, August 06, 2013

COOPERSTOWN DOOUBLETAKE

It was 8:30 am, I was all excited waiting to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame. All that was needed was a knock on the door from Macaroni Man (My nephew Chris) and we would go get some coffee and breakfast and off to the museum.

I had planned to wear my Mets cap into the hall, just like Tom Seaver did, and the day promised to be absolutely gorgeous.  Sunny, low humidity and in the mid-70’s, what could go wrong?

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door, the Macaroni Man! He was on time and off we would go! What could go wrong?

I grabbed my hat off my hotel room desk and headed to the door, knowing the Macaroni Man would be behind the door, ready to learn some history of the sport I so love. What could go wrong?

I turned the knob and there stood the Macaroni Man, the sunny day behind him, and I in my Mets hat. What could go wrong?

By now, you must be wondering like me, what could go wrong?

“Hey Uncle Joe! You ready?

“YES I AM!

“I need a pair of boxers.”

“Huh, what are you a fight promoter?”

“No, I forgot to pack my boxers when I left home. We have to go to Cobleskill to a Wal-Mart.”

How do you forget your underwear? You can forget a toothbrush, a favorite shirt or pants, even your wife, or child but not, no never, your underwear.

We drive a half hour away from the hotel and in the opposite direction of the Cooperstown, without breakfast, without my first cup of coffee! My stomach is feeling very empty, my mind losing coherence, my elation deflated as I sit in the parking lot while someone purchases some underwear, some shorts as we call them. I think: maybe I should order lunch when we DO get to a diner.

No comments: