Friday, August 30, 2013

YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER…

-->
But probably not!

I got a call yesterday, from a phone number in Chula Vista, California: 619 730 6921.

The party on the other end of the line claimed to be from Publishers Clearing House. (PCH) They were calling to inform me I won $3,500,000! They needed to confirm my address and $50 for me to be the complete winner. He also wanted to know if I received his repeated letters notifying me that I won. He said there were repeated calls also and pretended he probably didn’t have my whole address.
I of course went along with them for the ride for a short while. I asked where they were located and they said California. I said that I always thought they were located in Port Washington, and the caller says that he was calling from their California office, which I know to be false. He also claimed that his job is to locate winners of big prizes like mine for not just PCH, but other companies such as Reader’s Digest or Time Magazine.

I designed that poster over 15 years ago!
The heavily accented man on the other end had no emotion, no excitement and no credibility in his voice. Having worked for Publishers Clearing House for 17 years, I know that being that flat would not be the way to award $3.5 million. The other tip-off was I didn’t enter any sweepstakes, nor did I buy anything from PCH.

Now I asked if there was anything else I needed to do, and they said no, just a major credit card number for the $50 and the check would be delivered that afternoon.

At this point, I was getting bored with the charade, and make a suggestion to speed up the call and end the nonsense:

“Sir, being how you will be delivering the check this afternoon, can I make a suggestion?”

“Sure”

“Take the $3.5 million check and the $50, and shove them up you lying ass, you thieving lying son of a bitch, and while you’re at it, as you try to steal from the next party, drop dead doing it."

It felt pretty good!

No comments: