Tuesday, August 27, 2013

NOW I KNOW

-->
yea sure!
The other day I was on the phone with a lovely lady that happens to be the secretary to the CEO of AHRC Suffolk, an organization that does God’s work. The lady is named Lynn, and she greets me with a warm smile that could light up the darkest of places on a rainy wintry afternoon. I needed to discuss business with her and as I did we somehow got on the subject of the fish my fellow board member Ken allegedly says he caught, with a bogus picture of him holding it. We all know that the fish went back to the pawnshop and he got his money back. To quote Mr. Walker:

I caught this 35lb. striped bass aboard the Black Rock out of Orient Point last Wednesday. Our neighbor Fred barbecued the filets when I got home. Delish! Even took a bass sandwich to the office on Thursday.”

We know the fish was a hollow papier-mâché that was pawned and that Mr. Walker stopped by the deli in the morning on Thursday for his sandwich, the usual sardine on whole wheat, but who’s complaining. Yes his neighbor Fred, a very giving man did barbecue on that Thursday, and Ken had a nice hot dog on whole wheat! But this blogue isn’t about Mr. Walker again.

Lynn started to relate to me how last Father’s Day. Her husband, (a real fisherman, not like someone I know) took Lynn on a boat and they went fishing. The gentleman that he is, her husband gave Lynn the spot he stands at, his best rod and although he didn’t catch anything, Lynn did! In fact people remarked at her ability to catch so many REAL fish! She then went on to relate how when she was dating, one of her dates was fishing. She caught a fish, and could feel it on the end of her line, and this only speeded up the proposal that was sure to come. Since then she never took up the sport again!
I call it 'Finished Day'

This reminded me of my days as a young lover and man about town, dating TLW (The Little Woman), and an incident that happened before we were married. I was fresh off the 1969 World Series, a big Mets fan and wanted to marry a Mets fan also. TLW wasn’t a fan of baseball: football; hockey or basketball, despised boxing and the only real sport she was interested in was shopping. Back in the early 70’s, the International Olympic Committee recognized shopping as a sport, and TLW poured a lot of money into her equipment, even before we dated.

Well I started to teach her the name of the players, and to help her along I gave them clues that rhymed with their last named for her to remember them by. For instance, there was the third baseman named Wayne Garrett, a red headed good looking kid I called “Carrot Garrett”. By the night before our wedding, she knew all the players, batting averages and hometowns of all the New York Mets, I was a very happy man as she strolled down the aisle with her father! I could say: Boy, that Garrett sure has a good lateral movement to his right!” and she would say, Yup, ole Carrot Garrett can really pick the old apple.
Carrot Garrett

And so after the wedding as we flew off to our honeymoon, and settled into our daily routine once we returned, I asked her: Do you know how Carrot Top did? Her answer: WHO?

I watch a lot of games alone now, except for when the Macaroni Man  comes over.

No comments: