Friday, August 16, 2013

PHYSIC

-->
Being married for over 42 years, you begin to develop a physic sense towards your partner. It seems your thinking becomes programmed and you anticipate responses or reactions. This is both good and bad, depending on what’s on my mind.

Years ago if I did something on my own, I would wonder what TLW (The Little Woman) would think. Not any more, no, now I know what she will think, and I probably did it because of what she thinks.

The other day I mentioned to TLW that I needed some vitamins, while on our daily briefing about mid-day. She calls from her cell-phone and checks in and we chat a little, and we just touch base with each other. Calling from her car on her lunch hour, it is a daily routine. I used to do it when I worked and she stayed home.

The next day I got the vitamins myself and forgot to tell her. (There may be other things I’m hiding too) She makes her daily call and I don’t mention the vitamins, we hang up and that is that. Suddenly the phone rings with authority (That’s how I know it’s her) and I answer: “I picked them up myself!” I say without introduction, pretense or even a simple ‘Hello’. She is calling to tell me she will pick up the vitamins on her way home after work.

There is a short silence, (in 42 years there’s NEVER been a long silence) she says: “How did you know that was why I was calling back!?”

There are other instances where the other has played their hand perfectly, thinking ahead. Actually, she is most adept at it, having astonished me more times than I can possibly remember. She has an innate sense of forecasting and/or predicting. Maybe I’m too predictable, or maybe, just maybe we care about each other enough to spend our time thinking about the other.

“You’ll probably want to…” (Fill in the blank) is a starter of many a conversation with TLW. “By the way” is always an additive to an otherwise routine chat, and my favorite: “You should… (Once again, fill in the blank) adds to her repertoire and my workload.

And so all you young lovers that just tied the knot, remember, when you see an old person walking the street, and he looks like me, know well that he probably is programmed and although may not be awake and aware, will get there because TLW set him straight. This will all happen to you too, just give it time.

No comments: