Friday, November 29, 2013

HELPING A GENIUS


Been to the bar lately? That’s the ‘Genius Bar’, found in the Apple Stores across America. Years ago, if you went into the Apple Store, it was generally empty, void of anyone except Mac users. Now, with the I-phone and I-pad, you can't move in the place!

Well, I have a trusty old laptop, my buddy, the thing I use every morning to write these blogues and annoy you with. The machine has keys that are losing their imprinted letters from use and wear and tear, but it is a faithful companion, giving me great enjoyment.

As it ages the bottom of it is coming apart from all the years of use, and apparently it is a problem with this model, so much so that Apple acknowledges it and will fix it for nothing. This I did not know until TLW (The Little Woman) took it upon herself and found these things out for me. This is a great wife for you!
It's like McDonald's - all alike!

I went on line and texted with a rep of Apple who set me up for an appointment in my local Apple store to correct the problem. So off that afternoon, I went to Apple and told them I had a 5:15 pm appointment.

The genius was one of many, in his red Apple shirt and I-pad checking the customers who had appointments. Looking my name up he said I should sit at the designated spot and someone would call me. With his pencil mustache and evil eyes, (let’s call him Edwardo) he began the process of roaming back and forth looking at his I-pad. It was now way past my appointed time and I was starting to get antsy, as one after another went to the Genius bar for a seat. The look in the Edwardo’s face and eyes saying: “I’m in control! He that has the I-pad has power!) I wanted to smack him between the eyes and the stash!

Finally a lady genius comes over and says: “Joe?”

I fall down from the attention almost and tell her my problem, the ‘foot’ of the computer is dislodging from the body. She takes the laptop and starts to plug it in and do strange incantations over it. I think, how strange, why do you need to turn on the laptop for something external? Then I think, maybe she needs to verify the serial number that I submitted to the phone techie.

Then she begins: “now, you say you see white spots on the bottom of the screen?”
“Huh? White spots??? I see spots before my eyes sometimes, but not on the screen.”

She looks me up once again, and says: “It says you see white spots on the bottom of your screen!”

“Nooo, not me.”

“Aren’t you Joe?
“Yes”

“Joe Haley?”

“No, Joe Del Bloggolo.”

“OOPS!”

She took down some info and scheduled a delivery for the replacement foot, and said they would notify me when it came in.

As I left the store, I looked around me wondering which guy was Joe Haley, laughing to myself that he’s going to see spots on the bottom of his screen and stars  in his eyes from anger!

No comments: