Saturday, November 16, 2013

THE LAST DANCERS STANDING


I'll always remember,
the song they were playing,
The first time we danced and I knew

As we swayed to the music,
and held to each other,
I fell in love with you

It was a great wedding, as the food and company was magical, special in every way, and TLW (The Little Woman) and I got to renew old acquaintances.

It was the occasion of my best friend Phil’s youngest son Justin’s wedding, and in the process of seeing him and his lovely wife Justina, we got to re-acquaint ourselves with Phil and Linda’s siblings and children.

Chorus:
Could I have this dance
for the rest of my life,
Could you be my partner
every night,
when we're together
it feels so right,
Could I have this dance
for the rest of my life

You know it is one thing to be invited to a wedding and not know anyone but the bride and groom, but it is another altogether to be asked to sit at the head table and be an honored guest of good people.

But the night was joy and dancing, as the DJ took the microphone out onto the dance floor and called up all the married couples. Since TLW and me fit the criteria, up we wentt to the floor and we began to dance. Suddenly, the DJ called out: All the couples married 5 years or less, please sit down. And so a majority of young couples left the dance floor.

I'll always remember,
that magic moment,
When I held you close to me

As we move together,
I knew forever,
you're all I'll ever need

Could I have this dance
for the rest of my life,
Could you be my partner
every night,
when we're together
it feels so right,
Could I have this dance
for the rest of my life

As Ann Murrays’s “Can I have this dance?’ played on more couples were called off, being married 10 and 20 and even 30 years. This dance of attrition was starting to get my attention, but TLW and I waited for the DJ to call out 45 years or less and we would sit also.

Suddenly the DJ came over to us and asked us our names! I figured it was just to identify us older couples for the crowd. Then suddenly, the music stopped! The DJ was standing next to us, and the microphone was in our faces!

Could I have this dance
for the rest of my life,
Could you be my partner
every night,
when we're together
it feels so right,
Could I have this dance
for the rest --of --my life!

“Here we have it ladies and gentlemen, the longest married couple! How long have you been married?”

TLW answers: “42 years!”

“Come on over to the bride and groom” asks the DJ.

As we stood there, the DJ now asks: “What is the secret of being married 42 years?” looking at TLW, who directs the microphone to me.

At the moment I could have been sober, maybe a little preachy or just plain annoying as usual, but instead gave the young groom this very important advice:

“KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!”

Got a standing ovation!

ANNE MURRAY-Could I Have This Dance Lyrics

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BABY SISTER MARYANN

Mary Ann who is my mother’s favorite because she has naturally curly hair and her name is Mary after my mom’s mother, turned older today! She has now passed me in age and will not accept her aging by denying the truth. But we know the truth. Anyway she is the Macaroni Man’s mom, my lovely niece Annmarie and the grandmother (another reason she is older than me) of Annmarie’s two beautiful children Al and Aubrey.

5 comments:

Diana said...

Happy birthday dear!! (am i as old as u yet?) LOL!! Enjoy!

Me again! said...

"remember, I'm RIGHT behind ya!!!!"

Mary Ann said...

Why are we rushing this??? It's not until Monday! Lol

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Bex=cause first of all I find it offensive to wish anybody happy birthday on a Monday, and secondly, you already celebrated it once with Annmarie and the kids.

Diana said...

I though it was Monday!!!! But you know.....c.r.s.!!!! LOL!! Diana