Tuesday, February 04, 2014

BEING CHASE, HONEST AND PURE


As I left the Handy Pantry and went to my car, the gallon of one per cent milk and two buttered rolls in my hand, I was about to open my car door when I noticed something on the ground, under the icy slush of the early morning 19 degree weather.

There sat a bluish rectangular blur, and as I looked closer realized it was someone’s credit card.

Extracting it from the frozen slush, I read it as a Chase Freedom card. The card was due to expire in 2015 and looked brand new. I thought first to go back into the store and ask, but thought better of it, not sure there was a way to verify from the shady characters there were in the store that one wasn’t a thief and would claim it.

Getting home I went to God’s assistant, TLW (The Little Woman) who happens to work at a wanna-be-bank and knows something about this.

“I would call Chase and tell them you found a credit card.”

Of course, she doesn’t understand the value of a reward for finding something like a credit card.

As TLW leaves for work, I start to look up the owner and find him on the Internet. I call and no one answers. What should I do?

I decide to either cut the card up or call Chase Bank and tell them I found the card. I could go out and book a cruise to Europe or buy a new laptop, but decide instead to be honest. Mom would be so proud! I call the local bank.

“Chase Bank, Margaret speaking, how may I help you?

“I found this credit card in a parking lot.”

Can you drop it off at the bank?

“No, you will have to pick it up.”

“Well we can’t do that.”

“Then I will cut the card up and not worry about it.

Sounding annoyed she ask me what the account number is, and I tell her.

“Well what next?” I ask.

“We’ll cancel the card and issue a new one.”

SO, I DON’T HAVE TO GO OUT OF MY WAY AFTER ALL!

Why couldn’t that dingbat tell me that at the beginning?

Well, no reward, but no one took advantage of the owner, and that is good!


No comments: