Friday, February 21, 2014

"DID YOU LOOK?"


I’m a fatalist at heart. I fear the worst, and that way I NEVER disappoint myself. Take for instance long lines at the bank when I’m in a hurry or the school bus that turns in front of me ahead on the road and makes me crazy as it stops to let all the little brats on. I swear sometimes the bus driver does it deliberately.

With all the snow we have been having lately, one of the things that has been worrying me is the pool cover. At the end of the Summer, I had a new stretch type cover installed, and it is supposed to hold an elephant. Well all the snow that is on top of it is not an elephant, I have to wonder after 5 snowfalls and no melting, just how much it weights.

TLW, (The Little Woman) looks out the backyard into the pool area and says to me do I think the pool cover is ok as it now stands with all that snow on it. I tell her I don’t know, and if it isn’t, we’ll just call the house insurance people and pray.

“Did you look at Carol’s pool next door? She has the same cover.”

“No, I did not, because then I may have to worry about it.”

I had a fellow who worked for me and drove an old Toyota Corolla. The car was taped up using duct tape to keep it together, and had a coffee can for a carburetor. I asked him if he was ever going to get a new car and he said:

“Why should I, this thing works fine!”

“But what do you do if you break down?”

“Look, when I hear a strange noise coming out of the engine, I just turn the radio on, if it is a persistent noise, I turn the radio on louder, until I can’t hear it.”

Meanwhile, TLW returns and says: “Well, Carol’s pool looks the same as ours, but I have to laugh at how you avoid trouble.”

That comes with years of experience and knowing the right people.




No comments: