Thursday, February 20, 2014

SUGAR, SUGAR


Sugar, ahh,
Honey, honey.
You are my candy girl,
And you got me wanting you.
Honey, ahh,
Sugar, sugar.
You are my candy girl,
And you got me wanting you.
I just can't believe the loveliness
Of loving you.
It was another Sunday morning at the local diner for breakfast, as TLW (the Little Woman) and I discussed life as it passes us by. The topics were mostly a run down on mom, the Wanna-Be-Bank & Truss Company and a Tom Hanks movie. But suddenly something caught my eye.


There to the side sat a little ceramic rectangular container holding sugar packets and sweeteners for coffee. Every morning I try to have a nice bowl of oatmeal, where I add cinnamon and a teaspoon of sugar to it, along with slivered almonds. I though that the sugar packs would be a convenient way to add the sugar.

Reaching across the table for 4 packets I stick them in my shirt pocket for use in my breakfast, while listening to TLW’s latest description of a member in her Wanna-Be Bank.

“What are you doing?” she inquired. I knew she would.

“What?”

“Are you taking sugar?” She’s a real bulldog.

“Yeah, I thought I’d add it to my oatmeal in the morning.”

“That’s stealing!”

“No its not, it’s free to take.”

“No, it’s taking what doesn’t belong to you.”

“No, there is no price on it, so I can have some. I figured we really don’t use sugar at home, the sugar we have is so old I thought I’d try some fresh sugar. Besides, I don’t have to figure out how much if it is measured in a packet.”

“But you use a teaspoon and that’s all. Besides, sugar last a long time, I don’t buy sugar but once or twice a year.”

“Well your aunt used to take it, God rest her soul.”

“She did! Well, I guess if you can put it in your coffee it is not stealing. But then you get like an old person! Do you want to be considered an old person?”

I reach back into my pocket, since she hit a nerve and returning the packets I say: “Well, I AM an old person, so are you!”

“Yes, but do you want to be just like them?”

As she got up to use the rest room, I contemplated her words and reached for the sugars again, but decided against it.

I can’t even age gracefully, without someone watching me.

SUGAR!

No comments: